Saturday, January 12, 2008

How does your garden grow???


Okay it has been months since I have jumped on the blog wagon and I haven't made not one post. I have failed terribly. But I am going to give it a try once again. So much has happened since my friend Kellie talked me into this. Last year when I decided to jump on the bog wagon I was pretty sick and the doctors just couldn't find the problem. I am happy to report after a year and a half of getting units of blood, being poked and prodded, and enjoying several different hospital facilities I have been healed. On July 26, 2007 I under went surgery to remove Teddy the tumor from my small intestines/small bowel. What seemed to be a harmless tumor turned out to be a tumor that had turned cancerous. Needless to say it was time for Teddy to go so away with Teddy and a couple limp nods I am happy to report that as of December 28, 2007 I am cancer free! That feels good to say. Now that I have made a pretty good excuse for not dedicating my free time to my blog I hope that I have turned over a new leaf and will try my best to keep going on the blog wagon. As I have said before I am extremely ADHD at times and typing the word leaf brings me back to last summer and our prize willing garden. One thing always leads to another in my life so how about talking about that garden.








My parent decided last spring that they would plant a garden. It was a place to get away and enjoy planting something and watching it grow. Looking back I am convinced that it was also a place for them to get away and put worries behind them. You have to remember that I was sick and no one knew what the problem was. So I was in and out of the hospital and going to the Mahr Cancer Center every couple of weeks to get a couple of units of blood. Needless to say this garden produced more than just good food it was that safe place where you could watch how the hand of god plays an important part in our lives. My dad was raised on a farm and although he worked in a factory for almost 40 years this was something that he knows and loves. My mom is the Betty Crocker type that can whip up anything in the blink of an eye. Fresh veggies and fruits makes this women turn circles around the kitchen. This garden this safe haven produced more than any one family could use. So all that back breaking work of picking green beans, tomatoes, squash, peppers, cantaloupe, and watermelon was a fabulous way to spend the summer. It seemed like we were out there in the garden everyday in reality it was every couple of days since the farm is about a 20 minute drive from home. Now anyone who has every had a garden knows that once things start ripening and ready to pick it is a endless cycle. They produce and produce and produce again. Who in there right mind would have thought that planting 50 tomato plants and 5 rows of green beans would have been more than enough for one family. Well there is one thing you must know my mother doesn't know how to do anything on a small scale whether your talking about planting a garden or cooking a meal this women goes overboard ALL the time. This women even planted zucchini which no one in the family eats. I know call her crazy but the women loves to plant and watch it grow. Whats a girl to do.








Know there is something that I must tell you about myself I don't like many vegetables. I will eat salad, cauliflower, celery, cucumbers, carrots, and green peppers (occasionally). However, I don't eat hardly any vegetables that have been cooked. I know that is crazy but that is just the way it is. I will eats carrots that have been cooked in a pot pie but will pick out all the green stuff. I will eat green peppers that have been cooked in red beans and rice but I make sure that they are cut up in small pieces. I have issues with many foods and I am not afraid to admit it. So all that back breaking work picking bushels upon bushels of green beans that I don't even eat. That also goes for tomatoes, squash, zucchini, or any of that other health food found in the garden. Now I did venture out and try zucchini bread which was surprisingly good. But working in the garden although I couldn't work as much as I normally would was a safe haven for me to. Not to mention that my husband will eat just about everything that comes out of the garden. So I went to the garden and worked for a piece of mind and good food for the family.








Everyone in the family pitched in when they could and the garden produced more than anyone could imagine. If anyone wants to bring a family together plant a garden and watch it grow. But don't ask my mom to help unless you have a family of at least 20!

5 comments:

Kellie said...

I'm so glad you're back! Back at work....back on the blog...it's all good!

You know, it sounds like that garden was Gods way of seeing to it that you and your family remained sane throughout the summer. I love the pics of your Dad and is that your nephew? Great!

I'm right there with you on the eating vegetables thing. I won't even touch cauliflower! That's something I've never attempted, gardening. I don't think I'd have the patience nor the motivation to keep one up.

You CAN keep this blog thing up and that post wasn't at all ADHD sounding! Yay! Go Rhonda Ro!

Kellie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi Rhonda. I'm Pinky, Kellie's friend from Blog-land. Your garden is awesome! My garden is TINY and sad compared to yours. Actually, I haven't had one in years, but it was tiny, when it existed. I would love to have one again this summer. I'm glad you're healthy now. It must have been terrible not knowing what was causing your illness. Thank God for allowing an answer to prayer and removing the cancerous Timothy the tumor. (he had to go!)
Oh, and about those veggies...have you ever noticed how Brussels Sprouts smell like dirty feet? Eeew gross! I can eat any veggie except for those.
Glad to meet you! I'll definitely be back!
Pinky
www.cheeseinmyshoe.blogspot.com

Rhonda said...

Thank you Kellie for the welcome back note. Man give a girl a little free time and a reason to not clean the house and blog world isn't just a dream.

It was nice that you mentioned me in your blog I even had a visit from Pinky nice to hear from you. I will try my best to keep this thing going it can be addictive I think.

And by the way that is my dad and my nephew in the garden. I have to say the picture of the cabbage was one of my favorites it reminds me of a flower. Go figure!

Thanks again and keep checking in I will do my best.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.